Sunday, June 1, 2008

Rubik's Cube

I just bought a Rubik's Cube packed in shrink plastic in Singapore. I used to have one when I was young, which came in a round plastic container box. I lost the cube, but I still have the container.

Rubik's Cube is a mechanical puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik. Originally called the "Magic Cube" by its inventor, this puzzle was renamed "Rubik's Cube" by Ideal Toys in 1980. It is said to be the world's best-selling toy, with over 300,000,000 Rubik's Cubes and imitations sold worldwide.



In a typical Cube, each face is covered by nine stickers of one of six solid colours. When the puzzle is solved, each face of the Cube is a solid colour.

In May 2007, Thibaut Jacquinot of France became the first person to complete the Cube in under 10 seconds in open competition, setting a world record time of 9.86 seconds. Already beaten three times this year, the current holder is Edouard Chambon of France with a time of 9.18 seconds.

It can be quite addictive. I cant remember the formula anymore. It took me hours but I still cant solve it. But the following videos are extremely useful.





No comments: