Friday, June 6, 2008

My Friday culinary skills

Pot luck Brunch at Staffroom F tomorrow - usually held just before every school term holiday. Also, it is an excuse to show off culinary skills and to put on the extra calories.

Initially I planned to bake Pineapple Cake for dessert. However I forgot to bring the recipe to my 'kitchen' at Sengkurong. So I just had to cook whatever I could recall.

Passion Fruit Trifle. For the base, I was supposed to use a chifon cake or sponge fingers, but I could only find pandan (screwpine) flavoured chifon cake. It wont go well with the passion fruits. So, I bought the Apollo layer cake (butter flavoured) snack, and pile them up. Pour Ginger Beer over them, top with whipped cream and decorate with passion fruit pulps and seeds. Voila! my Passion fruit trifle is done in less than 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, what is passion fruit? Here is the picture. They are available in the local supermarkets.

Thai Massaman Buffalo Curry. Gosh! It was hard work. First of all, I had to blend in all the spices: Lemongrass, Cloves, Cinnamon, Cumin, Galangal, Garlic, Chili, Nutmeg, Cardamon. Then cooked the buffalo meat in coconut milk for 1 hour. After that, cooked the blended spices in coconut cream and added all other ingredients, with potatoes and peanuts and cooked for another 30 minutes. Eventually, the curry was done. The picture doesn't do it justice; but honestly it tastes good.

It tastes a bit like Malaysian curry. With the peanuts, it tastes more like a satay sauce. So I did a google search and found that this type of Thai curry with its Muslim origin originated from Southern Thailand, near to Malaysian border. No wonder! I spent hours to cook something different. In the end I almost cook a 'normal' curry.
I wonder how popular my food will be tomorrow :)

No comments: