Monday, June 23, 2008

Lawas delights

Last weekend, I had the honour to be invited by Azrin A to stay at his grandparent's in Lawas.

This was my first trip to Lawas and I really enjoyed my stay. I had a wonderful time and I felt very welcome there. The boat ride from Serasa was a mere 1 hour 15 minutes.
The Saturday market sold a lot of the local produce, such as a variety of locally grown rice and natural salt from Ba Kelalan. We had kolomee for lunch and all restaurant ran out of kolomee by Saturday afternoon. We had to wait till the following day to have the NEXT kolomee.
I even bathed in the stream for the very first time. The water was cold and refreshing, flowing down from the mountains. At night, it was again my first time to see the fireflies. hahaha
I had the opportunity to try some of Lun Bawang's delicacies. The picture inseted was some of the dishes I had for breakfast: Nuba Tinga (Rice wrapped in nyrik leaf), daun ubi (Tapioca leaves) and bitar (rice porridge cooked with palm cabbage).

No comments: