Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Burnout and Neuroticism

Last Friday I went out with a friend whom I think he has an imaginary girlfriend. That was another story posted in my blog a while ago. I didnt actually want to go out as I knew it would turn out bad.

Since he was so secretive about his life, so I just talked about my work. Suddenly he snapped and was angry with me and called me being self-centred. Calmly I told him that he looked stressed and asked him when and where he had his last holiday. Surprisingly he told me that I crossed the line as a friend and he was uncomfortable to talk to me about it. ????? Uncomfortable to talk to me about holiday!!!! I was not asking him when he last had SEX.

I dont want to sound like a phychologist but I think I can kind of analyse him. He must have got burnout from his work overseas.

Burnout is a psychological term for the experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest (depersonalization or cynicism), usually in the work context. But researchers argue that not everyone who is stressed at work will get burnout, and happens to people who has neuroticism.

Neuroticism can be defined as an enduring tendency to experience negative emotional states. Individuals who score high on neuroticism are more likely than the average to experience such feelings as anxiety, anger, guilt, and clinical depression.

Now it explains everything. My so-called friend is always unhappy about something. He always complains that his life is not as lucky as others. Come on! We have all been through difficult times in life. We just have to learn how to deal with it. No point in blaming others. So he must have neuroticism. Hahahaha, I think it refers to someone else from work as well.

So, my final verdict is: He is back home on leave, maybe on medical leave from stress-related illness. Or he has just broken up with his girlfriend. I also think that he is living in a fantasy world. Last time he told me that his gf doesnt know he is back in Brunei for 1 month. Now, he tells me that he is getting married soon.

Will your gf promise to marry you if you have disappeared from her life for 1 month?

No comments: