Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No Reservations - Berlin 2007

As I am going to Berlin (again!) this September, I plan to visit the restaurant, featured in Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation, that served all the traditional and hearty German dishes. I was searching the name of the restaurant (Rogacki) on the net, I came across a picture that looks so familiar.

Compare the following 2 pictures:


Location: Imbiss Kannopke, Berlin

I think I was standing at the exact same spot as Anthony Bourdain. Didnt know that until I saw the picture. What an honour!

Why is it so special about this imbiss (food stand)? It is famous for currywurst, as recommended by Lonely Planet guidebook. Wurst means sausage/hotdog in German. As you can guess it, it is chopped fried sausage with curry sauce - a delicacy of Berlin. The legend of the currywurst apparently started by Herta Heuwer on 4 September, 1949 in another location. There is even a Currywurst Museum now in Berlin.

The foodstand was quite difficult to find at first. We spent 10 minutes walking around in circles trying to find it. Finally we found it. It was located underneath the suburban railway track. There was a long queue. If I am not mistaken, it costs €1.50 each.

No comments: