Friday, October 31, 2008

The land where architects' wildest dreams come true

On my way back from Europe during my last holiday, I had 2-day stopover at United Arab Emirates (UAE). For most people, UAE is Dubai. Actually UAE consists of 7 emirates, namely Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ras al-Khaimah, Ajman, Fujairah and Umm al-Quwain.
Burj al- Arab

It was quite fortunate that one of my former colleagues, David, is now working in Ras al-Khaimah (RAK); and I was invited to stay the night with his family. It was very nice of him too to pick me up at Dubai International Airport.

The car journey to RAK was about an hour. After the drive past by rocks, deserts and sands, we finally arrived at his home. The windows of the houses in the area are designed in such away that you will not be able to look into the houses of your neighbours. In Brunei, we tend to know what is going on next door hahaha
There are lots of great stories about the trip to UAE, but I don't want to bore readers by giving full description.
My visit to UAE this time is very different from my last trip there in 2003. Dubai is almost 10 times more developed than 5 years ago with lots of high rise buildings and they are still building. Resorts are being built along the coast in most emirates. The Dubai bus-stop is air-conditioned. Dubai is ever so crowded.
Air-conditioned bus-stop
The high rise buildings in Dubai
Burj Dubai, the tallest man-made structure on Earth
"Dubai Creek" inside a hotelShopping Bazaar inside a hotel
Skiing inside a mall
This time, I managed to get out of Dubai and saw where the locals lived and shopped. The pace is much slower and a stone throw away from mountains and the sea. Many thanks to David and his family for showing me around. And it was great to meet them again after they left Brunei last December.

Road to the mountains

1 comment:

dw said...

It was great having you visit- you're welcome to come back any time-
Dave