Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Land of Ideas - Deutschland

Germany has always been one of my favourite countries. I met 2 German brothers during my tour around Scotland, who invited me to spend Christmas with their family. So Germany is the first country I travelled to when I was a student in the UK.

Ever since I spent my Christmas in Germany, I fell in love with the country. Germany is a land of contrast, with sea and beaches in the north, Alps and lakes in the south and the fairy-tale towns and cities and the beautiful Christmas markets in between.
I have been to Germany 5 times in separate trips. And Berlin is always my favorite German city. It has tragic past over the last 60 years: Nazi's rule, Cold War, and reunification.

Then the food: the world famous Schwarzwalderkirschtorte (Black Forest cake), Pork Knuckles, more than 1500 types of sausages, beer, and chocolates!!!!!!

In September 2008, I visited 3 cities: Bremen, Dresden and Berlin (again)

Bremen : a small historical town famous for the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale of Town Musicians. It is also the starting point of Fairy Tale Road.




Dresden: was almost totally destroyed by Allied bombing in 1945. Now it has been rebuilt with the former Baroque grandeur. Lots of chocolate shops!!!

Berlin: The cheapest of all the Western European cities and very arty. Kebab is B$5, a plate of vegetarian fried noodles B$4. The buildings in the former East and former West can be quite distintive. The shops in former East Berlin even though selling the latest fashions, still housed in former Communist Russian style squared buildings. You just have to be there to experience it :) Art galleries can be found in unexpected alley ways...

I will indeed go back to Germany again....

No comments: